Wednesday, October 18, 2006

BLUE OCTOBER



Well I don't think this band has that many great songs but they have had a couple catchy radio singles and I got a request to put them on today so here goes. The two singles that have gotten a lot of airplay are "Calling Me" off of their 2003 History for Sale Album and "Hate Me" from their new album Foiled. Hate me is definitely the more cathartic song of the two as they sing "Hate me today. Hate me tomorrow. Hate me for all the things I didn't for you. Hate me in ways. Ya ways hard to swallow. Hate me so you can finally see what's good for you. "Calling Me" is the more upbeat song proclaiming happiness as " There is something I can't quite explain...do I try too hard to make you smile...to make us smile. I will keep calling you to see if you're sleeping, are you dreaming, if you're dreaming are you dreaming of me. I can't believe you actually picked me" There are some other decent tunes on Foiled but nothing that does too much for me.

SOUNDS LIKE: Cure, Five For Fighting, Collective Soul

SONG SAMPLES:


















BAND BIO:

"Blue October released their first album, The Answers, in 1998. The group was signed to Universal for their August 2000 major label debut, Consent to Treatment, but with Rock radio non-responsive, they were soon dropped. The band then signed with Brando Records and released History for Sale in July 2003. When Calling You, which was also included on the American Wedding soundtrack, began picking up airplay in Dallas and other Texas cities, Universal offered to re-sign the group. After considering several other major label offers, Blue October decided to return to the very label that dropped them.

We're not an easy band to understand, says Justin about the decision to return to their major label home. I just felt at Universal, we had a team of people who understood us, and who loved us for all the right reasons. I wasnt about to walk through life with people who didnt really know me.

That Blue October hasnt followed the ordinary path to success is clear from the first single from Foiled, Hate Me, a song that recalls such aching rock anthems as Joy Divisions Love Will Tear Us Apart or Janes Addictions Jane Says for songwriter Justin Furstenfelds unflinching look at himself. Its a song portraying a mans selfishness in a relationship, then coming to terms with it, and admitting the mistakes.

I have to block out thoughts of you/So I dont lose my head/They crawl in like a cockroach/Leaving babies in my bed, he sings, the images underlined by the matter-of-fact sing-song way in which theyre delivered. Its like, let me just kind of clue you in on what it feels like in my own brain, he offers.

That brand of intensity is welded to wide screen sound that evokes an array of eclectic influences such as prog-rockers Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Flaming Lips, U2 and Coldplay, attracting a hardcore following who not only relate, but ardently sing along with the bands songs.

Our fans really make us what we are, says Justins older (by 14 months) brother, drummer Jeremy. We have a tight bond with them. Many have become our friends through the years. To see them sing these songs right back at us as we play them is amazing. It blows me away every time."

BAND MEMBERS:

Justin Furstenfeld vocals.guitar.piano.

Ryan Delahoussaye violin.mandolin.keys.

Jeremy Furstenfeld drums.

CB Hudson III guitar.

Matt Noveskey bass.

Julian Mandrake covering justins guitarparts while injured

WEBSITES:

www.myspace.com/blueoctober

bluoctoberfan.com

No comments: