Sunday, October 15, 2006

FORTY PERCENT


Well I had this update typed out but then I stupidly forgot to save it and thus you aren't getting the update until today. This now defunct band, Forty Percent, is one of my all time luck diamond in the rough finds. I just happened to hear a couple of their MP3's on the Internet because I'm pretty sure they never got any airplay in California and probably only from their home state of Texas if at all. I decided to buy the entire CD on a whim on the strength of "Here's to October", "Nothing Changes" and "St Louis" some of the stronger tracks on the album. Well to say I was pleasantly surprised was an understatement. The soaring vocals really make this CD and the guitar work is good enough to complement the vocals. It's a great CD for a beach drive. Words just don't do this band justice. Be that as it may I will try to give a brief breakdown of the songs with some lyrical highlights that mix highs and lows in a very interesting way. The next post will be the lead singer's new even more awesome band.
SOUNDS LIKE: They are pretty unique sounding but I would say they sound similar to some of the mellower songs by Third Eye Blind.
TRACKS:
1. Outerspace- Good mid tempo crunchy rocker to start off the CD and lyrically one of hope. "Did I tell you I appreciate this fragile consequence, Did I tell you I appreciate your from of self defense.... Everything is possible is possible in outerspace"
2. Nothing Changes- One of my favorite songs musically on the album mostly due to the cool chorus. " You have flown away, turned you back on familiar voices, with your long hair and your tan skin and these unfamiliar choices....Chorus: Nothing changes. Nothing changes. We all need to lose our heads rather than change our minds"
3.Here's to October- Great atmosphere in this slower ballad type song which seems to be about reflecting on the past. "Turn around. I'll wish you away. You taste like rain and you look like someone I once knew. Here's to October"
4. Beautiful Ride- A great uptempo song about the joy of falling in love with someone and the "beautiful ride" you want to embark upon with them. "Wasted a breath. I could be proud you wore that dress. And jade from this I should be proud you made this mess. I feel like asking what we're waiting for. Between you and me this could be a beautiful ride."
5. This Time- Another one of the ballad type songs. Not one of my favorites but beautfiful vocals in the chorus. " I think about the world and how it used to be. Waking up to your voice in my head. When did I decide I couldn't hear you anymore. This Time I'm not the one to tell you but I'll make it all work out this time"
6. St Louis- Great modern rock song with a great crunchy high pitched strumming during the verses, that seems like it was plucked straight from a radio stations playlist. " I'm out of focus. I start to fade away....Chorus I'm always thinking of you only when I think of what's gone wrong...Don't let your better days fade away"
7. I'll Wait- Again not one of my favorites verse wise but the cool vocals in the chorus make up for it somewhat. " I won't forget to love you and I'll memorize your face. But I'll wait for the last cuz for the first time I found you"
8. Fall Away- One of the more melancholy sounding songs on the album about drifting apart from someone. " Some words are better said when left soft spoken. The world's a skeptic now and I don't blame it. My life's a jigsaw now rearrange it. Don't forget me now as I fall away."
9. Not For Me- Another melancholy song lyrically that builds into a hopeful chorus. I think this
song is easy to identify with lyrically about the fear of change. " I'm so afraid. I'm so afraid. I'm still the same. I'm still a name. Everything is fading so wipe away my tears. Your Is your mes this is not for me but I still believe in miracles"
10. Sore- A song about jilted love. "Your smile feeds my sorrow. A smile I can't replay. Now I'm afraid of nothing something we can't deny...I can't feel myself and it makes me sore"
11. Humble- Back to more fast straight ahead rock sounds on this track about introspection.
"I must confess I never felt so obsessed by my own contradictions. And now we're here. We live in a brand new year. I think I'm having a breakdown. I never felt so comfortable"
12. My Runaway- The CD ends on this great songs that starts with a sorrowful feel to it that builds into a great chorus where Coach, the lead singer, really shows his vocal range especially at around 3:10 of this track "And I'm making my way away. I'm so tired of this town. I can't seem to get around"
SONG SAMPLES


TRACKS
PLAY LO-FI MP3 lo-fi: dial-up
PLAY HI-FI MP3 hi-fi: broadband


1. Outerspace

2. Nothing Changes

3. To October

4. Beautiful Ride

5. This Time

6. St. Louis

7. Untitled (I'll Wait)

8. Fall Away

9. Not For Me

10. Sore

11. Humble

12. My Runaway


(Click a song name to hear it in lo-fi MP3. Need help?.)




BAND BIO: What does FortyPercent mean? Well, FortyPercent really does not mean anything. It is simply a name conceived from the confluence of four distinct personalities in pursuit of one indiscriminate passion. Not fame, not fortune, but the opportunity to inspire others as they have been inspired themselves. One can look at it as a sort of beg, steal and borrow concept, with the intent to give back, of course. FortyPercent's inspiration can be traced throughout several generations of brilliance: from classical movement, to romantic melody, to the opus of intricate, yet simple guitar structure, and back again. Beg for simply an ounce of genius from a mind like Beethoven, steal a handful of heart and soul from 'Ol Blue Eyes' himself and borrow as much artistic adeptness from the likes of a modern talent such as U2 as possible, and one (or four) would have enough musical inspiration to go anywhere and everywhere. Where exactly do they want to go? Into the passionate hearts and creative minds of those aspiring musicians to follow in their footsteps. To have the opportunity to give back what they begged for, perhaps stolen, and borrowed from those who inspire them.
BAND MEMBERS:
Coach -- Vocals
Joey -- Guitars, vocals
Chad -- Bass
Moe -- Drums
WEBSITES:
http://www.myspace.com/fortypercent (Check out for full song samples)

No comments: